Berkeley: The New Student Revolt
by Hal Draper
We are grateful to the Center for Socialist
History for allowing us to share this out-of-print book with visitors to the FSM-A site.
This material is coprighted by the Center for
Socialist History. It can reproduced and distributed in any format provided that: the
source and copyright are acknowleged; the distribution is free; and, the material is not
reproduced in book, pamphlet or magazine article format without the permission of the
Center for Socialist History. To learn more about Hal Draper, see visit the Hal Draper Internet Archive.
Note: We have digitized the text for the
Forward, Mario Savio's Introduction, and the first 17 Chapters of Hal Draper's book. Mario's Introduction, the
Forward, chapters 1 to 10, and chapters 11 to 17 are each on four separate Web pages.
Each chapter is linked below to its specific location on a Web page.
by Mario Savio
1. "A New Generation of Students"
2. The Liberal Bureaucrat
3. Behind the Myth of Liberalization
4. The Myth: Two Showpieces
5. The Power Structure Triggers the Conflict
6. The Administration Clamps Off the Safety Valve
7. "What's Intellectual About Collecting
8. The Clubs Fight Back
9. The First Sit-in and the Eight Suspensions
10. A Couple of Rebels
11. The Police-car Blockade Begins
12. Second Sit-in and the Greeks
13. Whose Law and Order?
14. "You Can't Win!"
15. The Pact of October 2
16. Enter Redbaiting
17. The FSM Is Formed
We hope to finish the remaining chapters soon
and would welcome volunteers to assist on this or with other documents from the archives.
18. Some Lessons in Good Faith
19. Standoff on "Free Speech"
20. Hidden Battle over Civil Rights
21. Return to Direct Action
22. The Regents Throw a Time Bomb
23. The Abortive Sit-in
24. Back to the Wars
25. The Big Sit-in
26. The Governor Calls the Cops
27. The Occupation by the Police
28. The Student Strike Starts
29. The Faculty and the Strike
30. The Administration Plans a Coup
31. Classic Drama in the Greek Theater
32. The FSM at the Peak
33. The Story of a Rumor
34. The Victory at the Academic Senate
35. End of the Beginning
36. Before the Second Round
37. The "Restoration" Coup
38. The FSM in Crisis
39. Regents versus the University
41. The Non-I Radicals
42. "New Left" Balance Sheet
43. The "New Radicals" and the "Old Radicals"
Last revision of this page September 16, 2001
URL of this page is